Our Story:
In the spring of 2012 I read an article on Joe Mihalic, a Harvard Business School graduate who successfully paid of his $90,000 student loan debt in 7 months. I was immediately inspired by this crazy feat, and decided to tackle my $8,000 car debt in a similar manner, but with a little twist. I devised a one year plan to obtain twice what I owed ($16,000), so that I could give half away. I named this goal the "Proverbs 11:24 Experiment".
This experiment began in June of 2012. Since then, I have raised approximately $1,300 through a mixture of selling off my excess, hustling on eBay, and working various odd jobs. With these funds, I have been able to put $400 towards my car debt and have been blessed with the opportunity to give the remaining $800 away. Since the idea of giving was inspired by Shane Claiborne's quote which states that “the best thing to do with the best things in life is to give them away,” the majority of my giving has been in the form of giving away "hit consumer items." These items have included basketball jerseys, popular branded clothing, headphones, wallets, and food, among other things. My favorite item to give away has definitely been REP THE KING sweaters by Kingdom Culture Apparel . Unfortunately, after giving away 6-8 sweaters costing $20-$25 each, it became apparent that I did not have the means to give as freely as I desired. If I wanted to giving to a larger extent, I would need to find cheaper products.
After much research, I found a source who could offer me the best price possible. That person was myself. So I teamed up with some friends, and we started making shirts. We named ourselves, "P 11 24," as a constant reminder to operate by paradoxical proverb which states, "One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty."
P 11 24 was created out of a desire to give the best things in life away, which is accomplished through the following methods:
1) Giving our awesome gear away.
It is not secret, we like to give. But don’t expect a free shirt just because you ask for one. We like to give to unsuspecting individuals and people who inspire us with their giving lifestyle.
Since June 2012, we have given away over 45 shirts.
2) Giving directly back to our supporters.
Our shirts are known to come packaged with smiles. Don’t be surprised to find Pop Rocks, Pokémon cards, or mustache lollipops hidden in your new gear. Other individuals will score complimentary items such as gift cards from Starbucks, Tastea & movie theatres. It is a small way to show our gratitude to you!
Since June 2012, we have given away 50+ packages of Pop Rocks, a few dozen Pokemon booster packs, and a handful of gift cards, movie tickets and mustache pops.
3) Giving individuals opportunities to achieve their dreams.
We have all heard the phrase, “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and feed him for life.” So what is better than clothing a man for a day? Maybe it is giving an individual an opportunity to earn an income through selling shirts?
We are currently partnering with a select group of individuals, offering them anywhere from 50-100% of the profits, depending on the circumstances. In the beginning of August 2012, we collaborated with James Moore to help raise funds for his upcoming Xelot: Fellows Program, which essentially is a 3 month business and leadership boot camp. We sold 13 “MUSTACHE” shirts on behalf of James, giving him a 100% cut, ultimately helping him to earn around $125!
If you are interested in raising funds for missions, or just looking for an opportunity to earn an income, feel free to contact us for more information!
No comments:
Post a Comment